Friday, February 14, 2020

Blog Day Fourteen: Allegory of the Cave Video

Today in class we got heart-shaped candies to celebrate Valentine's Day. I took one of each color because Mr. Schick said I could. After that A few people retook the Egypt quiz and did really well. Then we watched a video about Plato's Allegory of the cave. Although Mr. Schick said we didn't have to take any notes, I did because it is a helpful way for me to retain information. The theme of the allegory is said by Pluto in his allegory. He said, "The effect of education and the lack of it on our nature." This allegory comes from Pluto's most famous writing  The Republic. I remember the video saying that everyone who didn't know about the ideas and thoughts about philosophy are the people in the cave. The people who have experienced the thoughts of philosophy, like Socrates and Pluto, are the people who have been out of the cave. And like in the story, and in real life with Socrates, those people who have experienced the light usually get killed for their beliefs. I found this whole video very interesting and thought we had a good discussion about it in class. Since we have Monday off, I will see you one Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment